Prof. Tom Brown
- Research Theme:
- Condensed Matter and Photonics
- Research Group:
- St. Andrews
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)1334 463129/2127
- School of Physics & Astronomy, Physical Science Building, North Haugh, St Andrews, KY16 9SS, United Kingdom
My research concerns the development of laser systems based on solid state gain media focussing particularly on novel ultrafast systems. I also carry out some research in biophotonics, applying lasers to address current problems in Biology and Medicine.
I am First Year Physics module coordinator at St Andrews and I also coordinate the St Andrews Evening Degree Programme in Physics.
I lecture the Properties of Matter and Concepts in Physics at Level 1 and Ultrafast Photonics at Level 5.
I also teach on the Transferrable Skills Module (level 3) and play a lead in the Problem Based Learning Activity at Level 1.
Pas teaching includes masters level courses in Optical Fibres & Telecommunications and Non-linear Optics.
- A novel light source with tuneable uniformity of light distribution for artificial daylight photodynamic therapy DOI, Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy, 23, p. 144-150 (2018)
- Broadly tunable diode-pumped femtosecond Tm:LuScO3 laser(2018)
- Quantifying direct DNA damage in the basal layer of skin exposed to UV radiation from sunbeds DOI, Photochemistry and Photobiology, 94, 5 , p. 1017-1025 (2018)
- Exogenous mineralization of hard tissues using photo-absorptive minerals and femto-second lasers DOI, Acta Biomaterialia, 71, p. 86-95 (2018)
- Diode-pumped femtosecond Tm3+-doped LuScO3 laser near 2.1 μm DOI, Optics Letters, 43, 6 , p. 1287-1290 (2018)
- Waveguide Tm:Lu2O3 ceramic laser fabricated by ultrafast laser inscription DOI(2017)
- 1.9 µm waveguide laser fabricated by ultrafast laser inscription in Tm:Lu2O3 ceramic DOI, Optics Express, 25, 13 , p. 14910-14917 (2017)
- A quantitative study of in vivo protoporphyrin IX fluorescence build up during occlusive treatment phases DOI, Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy, 18, p. 204-207 (2017)
- β-pyrophosphate DOI, Materials Science and Engineering: B, 75, p. 885-894 (2017)
- Frequency comb-based time transfer over a 159 km long installed fiber network DOI, Applied Physics Letters, 110, 22 (2017)