Prof. Stephen Lee
- Research Theme:
- Condensed Matter and Photonics
- Research Group:
- Hard Condensed Matter
- St. Andrews
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)1334 463143
- School of Physics & Astronomy, Physical Science Building, North Haugh, St Andrews, KY16 9SS, United Kingdom
Microscopic probes (SANS, 5SR) applied to superconducting and magnetic systems (see below).
Superconductivity: magnetic-superconducting hybrid systems, vortex matter, mesoscopic systems, thin films and multilayers
Magnetism: magnetic structures of single crystals, multilayers, including magnetic-superconductor interfaces and magnetic recording media, artificial spin-ice systems, lithographically defined nanomagnetic systems.
Neutron Scattering: small angle scattering (SANS), polarised neutron reflectometry (PNR), powder and four axis magnetic crystallography.
Muon spin rotation/relaxation: particularly for vortex structures in superconductors. Low energy muon spin rotation/relaxation in superconducting and magnetic multilayers.
Level 2: PH2011 Lectures in Mechanics (18 lectures)
Level 3: PH3012 Lecture course in Thermal and Statistical Physics (15 lectures, 50% of course, 4 tutuorial groups).
Level 4: PH4039 Solid State Physics (27 lectures, 3-4 tutorial groups).
Administration: Examination Officer for all courses at all 5 levels of Physics and Astronomy
- Lead palladium titanate DOI, Physical Review. B, Condensed matter and materials physics, 96, 10 (2017)
- Diverse family of layered frustrated magnets with tailorable interlayer interactions DOI, Chemistry of Materials, 29, 16 , p. 6616-6620 (2017)
- Continuously tuneable critical current in superconductor-ferromagnet multilayers DOI, Applied Physics Letters, 110, 26 (2017)
- Emergent magnetism at transition-metal–nanocarbon interfaces DOI, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 114, 22 , p. 5583-5588 (2017)
- Control of superconductivity with a single ferromagnetic layer in niobium/erbium bilayers DOI, Physical Review Applied, 7, 4 (2017)
- Silicide induced surface defects in FePt nanoparticle fcc-to-fct thermally activated phase transition DOI, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 417, p. 442-450 (2016)
- Dynamical torque in CoxFe3–xO4 nanocube thin films characterized by femtosecond magneto-optics DOI, Nano Letters, 16, 8 , p. 5291-5297 (2016)
- Irreversible magnetization switching at the onset of superconductivity in a superconductor ferromagnet hybrid DOI, Applied Physics Letters, 107, 26 (2015)
- Intrinsic paramagnetic Meissner effect due to s-wave odd-frequency superconductivity DOI, Physical Review X, 5, 4 (2015)
- Thermodynamic phase transitions in a frustrated magnetic metamaterial DOI, Nature Communications, 6 (2015)