Prof. Philip Best
Personal Chair in Extragalactic Astrophysics
- Research Theme:
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)131 668 8358
- Institute for Astronomy, Royal Observatory, Blackford Hill, Edinburgh, EH9 3HJ, United Kingdom
- Observational cosmology, studies of galaxy formation, and the high redshift Universe.
- Active galactic nuclei (AGN), in particular their host galaxies, and their influence on galaxy evolution.
- Radio astronomy, the cosmic evolution of radio sources, their growth, and radio source shocks
- Star-forming galaxies at high redshift, and the star-formation history of the Universe
- Clusters and groups of galaxies, and the effect of environment on the nature and properties of galaxies.
I have designed, organised and lectured a number of different courses, from pre-honours to Masters level, as well as serving on the School's Teaching Committee for five years, and being Senior Director of Studies of four years. Currently, I organise and lecture the pre-honours course "Discovering Astronomy" and the Senior Honours level course "High Energy Astrophysics" as well as supervising Senior Honours and Integrated Masters projects. I am the Admissions Officer for the School, and Chair the School Board of Studies.
- Dust attenuation in 2 < z < 3 star-forming galaxies from deep ALMA observations of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (2018)
- The faint radio sky: VLBA observations of the COSMOS field DOI, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 607 (2017)
- The KMOS Redshift One Spectroscopic Survey (KROSS): the origin of disc turbulence in z ≈ 1 star-forming galaxies DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 474, 4 , p. 5076-5104 (2017)
- LOFAR reveals the giant: a low-frequency radio continuum study of the outflow in the nearby FR I radio galaxy 3C 31 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 474, 4 , p. 5049-5067 (2017)
- Studying the late evolution of a radio-loud AGN in a galaxy group with LOFAR DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 474, 4 , p. 5023-5035 (2017)
- The Interstellar Medium in [O III]-selected Star-forming Galaxies at z ˜ 3.2 DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 849, 1 , p. 39 (2017)
- The association of a J-burst with a solar jet DOI, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 606 (2017)
- Photometric redshifts for the next generation of deep radio continuum surveys - I. Template fitting DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 473, 2 , p. 2655-2672 (2017)
- Boötes-HiZELS: an optical to near-infrared survey of emission-line galaxies at z = 0.4-4.7 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 471, 1 , p. 629-649 (2017)
- The LOFAR window on star-forming galaxies and AGNs - curved radio SEDs and IR-radio correlation at 0 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 469, 3 , p. 3468-3488 (2017)