Prof. Phil King
- Research Theme:
- Condensed Matter and Photonics
- Research Group:
- Hard Condensed Matter
- St. Andrews
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)1334 463067
- School of Physics & Astronomy, Physical Science Building, North Haugh, St Andrews, KY16 9SS, United Kingdom
My research is focussed on imaging and manipulating the electronic structure and many-body interactions of quantum materials, including strongly-correlated electron systems, topological insulators, and emerging semiconductors.
To do this, I make use of advanced electron spectroscopic techniques, in particular angle-resolved photoemission (ARPES). Based on the photoelectric effect, this provides a direct momentum-resolved measurement of the electronic structure and Fermi surfaces of materials, as well as providing detailed insight into interactions of electrons in the solid. I run a state-of-the-art system for performing such measurements in my laboratory in St Andrews, as well as utilizing synchrotron light sources in the UK and internationally.
Lecturer for PH5024/SUPATOP: "Surfaces, Symmetry, and Topology in Condensed Matter Physics"
Co-ordinator for final-year experimental physics projects in St Andrews
Tutor for PH4039: "Solid State Physics"
- A general route to form topologically-protected surface and bulk Dirac fermions along high-symmetry lines DOI, Electronic Structure (2019)
- Orbital- and kz-selective hybridisation of Se 4p and Ti 3d states in the charge density wave phase of TiSe2 DOI, Physical Review Letters, 122, 7 (2019)
- Dual quantum confinement and anisotropic spin splitting in the multi-valley semimetal PtSe2 DOI, Physical Review. B, Condensed matter and materials physics, 99, 4 (2019)
- Itinerant ferromagnetism of the Pd-terminated polar surface of PdCoO2 DOI, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 115, 51 , p. 12956-12960 (2018)
- Unconventional magneto-transport in ultrapure PdCoO2 and PtCoO2 DOI, npj Quantum Materials, 3 (2018)
- Electronic structure and enhanced charge-density wave order of monolayer VSe2 DOI, Nano Letters, 18, 7 , p. 4493-4499 (2018)
- Crossover from lattice to plasmonic polarons of a spin-polarised electron gas in ferromagnetic EuO DOI, Nature Communications, 9 (2018)
- Fermiology and superconductivity of topological surface states in PdTe2 DOI, Physical Review Letters, 120, 15 (2018)
- Ubiquitous formation of bulk Dirac cones and topological surface states from a single orbital manifold in transition-metal dichalcogenides DOI, Nature Materials, 17, p. 21-27 (2018)
- Hybrid reflections from multiple x-ray scattering in epitaxial oxide films DOI, Applied Physics Letters, 111, 13 (2017)