Dr. Phil King
- Research Theme:
- Condensed Matter and Photonics
- Research Group:
- Hard Condensed Matter
- St. Andrews
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)1334 463067
- School of Physics & Astronomy, Physical Science Building, North Haugh, St Andrews, KY16 9SS, United Kingdom
My research is focussed on imaging and manipulating the electronic structure and many-body interactions of quantum materials, including strongly-correlated electron systems, topological insulators, and emerging semiconductors.
To do this, I make use of advanced electron spectroscopic techniques, in particular angle-resolved photoemission (ARPES). Based on the photoelectric effect, this provides a direct momentum-resolved measurement of the electronic structure and Fermi surfaces of materials, as well as providing detailed insight into interactions of electrons in the solid. I run a state-of-the-art system for performing such measurements in my laboratory in St Andrews, as well as utilizing synchrotron light sources in the UK and internationally.
Lecturer for PH5024/SUPATOP: "Surfaces, Symmetry, and Topology in Condensed Matter Physics"
Co-ordinator for final-year experimental physics projects in St Andrews
Tutor for PH4039: "Solid State Physics"
- Fermiology and superconductivity of topological surface states in PdTe2 DOI, Physical Review Letters, 120, 15 (2018)
- Ubiquitous formation of bulk Dirac cones and topological surface states from a single orbital manifold in transition-metal dichalcogenides DOI, Nature Materials, 17, p. 21-27 (2018)
- Hybrid reflections from multiple x-ray scattering in epitaxial oxide films DOI, Applied Physics Letters, 111, 13 (2017)
- Maximal Rashba-like spin splitting via kinetic energy-coupled inversion symmetry breaking DOI, Nature, 549, 7673 , p. 492-496 (2017)
- Quasi two-dimensional Fermi surface topography of the delafossite PdRhO2 DOI, Physical Review. B, Condensed matter and materials physics, 96, 7 (2017)
- Narrow-band anisotropic electronic structure of ReS2 DOI, Physical Review. B, Condensed matter and materials physics, 96, 8 (2017)
- Spin and valley control of free carriers in single-layer WS2 DOI, Physical Review. B, Condensed matter and materials physics, 95, 4 (2017)
- Nearly-free-electron system of monolayer Na on the surface of single-crystal HfSe2 DOI, Physical Review. B, Condensed matter and materials physics, 94, 20 (2016)
- Tailoring the nature and strength of electron-phonon interactions in the SrTiO3(001) 2D electron liquid DOI, Nature Materials, 15, 8 , p. 835-839 (2016)
- Ultrafast band structure control of a two-dimensional heterostructure DOI, ACS Nano, 10, 6 , p. 6315-6322 (2016)