Dr. Liam O'Faolain
Lecturer in Nanophotonics
- Research Theme:
- Condensed Matter and Photonics
- Research Group:
- St. Andrews
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)1334 461677
- School of Physics & Astronomy, Physical Science Building, North Haugh, St Andrews, KY16 9SS, United Kingdom
Liam O'Faolain is a lecturer at the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of St Andrews. He is one of the leading authorities on disorder and loss in Photonic Crystals and has designed and realised the world's best slowlight waveguides to date. Photonic crystal cavities are another of his main research interests, and he has recently used them to realise record low optical switching energies and record high levels of light emission from silicon. One of his group's main research goals is the realisation of a new family of low power optical interconnects based on Photonic Crystal cavities.
He also co-founded and runs NanoPIX, a foundry service for nanophotonic devices (www.nanophotonics.eu). This has supplied 15-20 research teams across Europe with bespoke samples, resulting in more than 80 joint publications since September 2006.
He is PI on the Scottish Enterprise Proof of Concept project FRONTIER which is commercialising some of his recent discoveries.
I currently teach "Physics of Electronic Devices" PH4025, and "Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics module" of PH5183/PH5263 (jointly with Dr. Andrea di Falco). I also run a cleanroom course in which students get the opportunity to fabricate a semiconductor laser.
- Reflection from a free carrier front via an intraband indirect photonic transition DOI, Nature Communications, 9 (2018)
- Tunable optical buffer through an analogue to electromagnetically induced transparency in coupled photonic crystal cavities DOI, ACS Photonics, Articles ASAP (2018)
- Tight focusing of laser light using a chromium Fresnel zone plate DOI, Optics Express, 25, 17 , p. 19662-19671 (2017)
- Photonic crystal slow light waveguides in a kagome lattice DOI, Optics Letters, 42, 16 , p. 3243-3246 (2017)
- Thin high numerical aperture metalens DOI, Optics Express, 25, 7 , p. 8158-8167 (2017)
- Tight focusing of azimuthally polarized optical vortex produced by subwavelength grating DOI, : Procedia Engineering, p. 83-89 (2017)
- Transmission and reflection from a free carrier front in a silicon slow light waveguide DOI(2017)
- Microlens-aided focusing of linearly and azimuthally polarized laser light DOI, Optics Express, 24, 26 , p. 29800-29813 (2016)
- Compact IlI-V/silicon external cavity laser configuration with photonic crystal cavity reflector for direct frequency modulation DOI, p. 149-150 (2016)
- Control of Q-factor in nanobeam cavities on substrate DOI(2016)