Dr. Jochen Arlt
COSMIC RF and Lab Manager
- Research Theme:
- Condensed Matter and Photonics
- Research Group:
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)131 650 5121
- School of Physics and Astronomy, James Clerk Maxwell Building, Peter Guthrie Tait Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3FD, United Kingdom
I am lab manager of COSMIC (Collaborative Optical Spectroscopy, Micromanipulation and Imaging Centre, www.cosmic.ed.ac.uk) and also responsible for most of the optical instrumentation within the Soft Condensed Matter group.
Part of my research insterest is focussed on the development and optimisation of optical methods and insrumentation to interrogate biological and soft condensed matter systems. This includes optical tweezers, advanced imaging methods such as flourescence lifetime imaging and coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy as well as Dynamic Differential Microscopy.
The second major research interest is the physics of active particles with particular emphasis on motile bacteria.
I am a senior demonstrator for the Junior Honours Experimental Physics Laboratory and typically supervise several experimental Senior Honours Projects.
- Bacteria as living patchy colloids: Phenotypic heterogeneity in surface adhesion, Science Advances (2018)
- Painting with light-powered bacteria DOI, Nature Communications, 9, 1 (2018)
- In vivo single cell analysis reveals Gata2 dynamics in cells transitioning to hematopoietic fate DOI, Journal of Experimental Medicine (2017)
- Ureasil organic-inorganic hybrids as photoactive waveguides for conjugated polyelectrolyte luminescent solar concentrators DOI, Materials Chemistry Frontiers, 1, 11 , p. 2271-2282 (2017)
- Targeted design leads to tunable photoluminescence from perylene dicarboxdiimide-poly(oxyalkylene)/siloxane hybrids for luminescent solar concentrators DOI, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 4, 18 , p. 4049-4059 (2016)
- Tunable White-Light Emission from Conjugated Polymer-Di-Ureasil Materials DOI, Advanced Functional Materials, 26, 4 , p. 532-542 (2016)
- Escherichia coli as a model active colloid DOI, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 137, p. 2-16 (2016)
- Synergistic photoluminescence enhancement in conjugated polymer-di-ureasil organic-inorganic composites DOI, Chemical Science, 6, 12 , p. 7227-7237 (2015)
- Filling an Emulsion Drop with Motile Bacteria DOI, Physical Review Letters, 113, 26 (2014)
- Taking Two-Photon Excitation to Exceptional Path-Lengths in Photonic Crystal Fiber DOI, ACS Photonics, 1, 9 , p. 790-793 (2014)