Prof. James Dunlop
Professor of Extragalactic Astronomy
- Research Theme:
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)131 668 8477
- Institute for Astronomy, Royal Observatory, Blackford Hill, Edinburgh, EH9 3HJ, United Kingdom
I am Head of Institute and Professor of Extra-Galactic Astronomy at the Institute for Astronomy, an institute within the School of Physics & Astronomy at the University of Edinburgh, and also part of the Scottish Universities Physics Alliance.
I am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and of the Institute of Physics, and currently hold a European Research Council Advanced Fellowship and a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award.
My research interests are in extragalactic astronomy and cosmology: galaxy formation and evolution, the cosmic history of star formation, the first galaxies and cosmic reionization, and the connection between the growth of galaxies and black holes.
I have taught many courses at various levels within the University, most recently the Level-11 Radiation & Matter course, details of which can be found at http://www.roe.ac.uk/~jsd/Rad_Matt.html.
- Dust attenuation in 2 < z < 3 star-forming galaxies from deep ALMA observations of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (2018)
- The VANDELS survey: Dust attenuation in star-forming galaxies at z = 3 - 4 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (2018)
- ALMA 26 arcmin2 Survey of GOODS-S at One-millimeter (ASAGAO) DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 853, 1 (2018)
- SCUBA-2 Ultra Deep Imaging EAO Survey (STUDIES) DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 850, 1 (2017)
- Very Compact Millimeter Sizes for Composite Star-forming/AGN Submillimeter Galaxies DOI, Astrophysical Journal Letters, 849, 2 (2017)
- A dusty star-forming galaxy at z = 6 revealed by strong gravitational lensing DOI, Nature Astronomy, 2, 1 , p. 56-62 (2017)
- The First Billion Years project: constraining the dust attenuation law of star-forming galaxies at z ≃ 5, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 470, 3 , p. 3006-3026 (2017)
- An Imperfectly Passive Nature DOI, Astrophysical Journal Letters, 844, 1 (2017)
- The KMOS Deep Survey (KDS) - I. Dynamical measurements of typical star-forming galaxies at z ≃ 3.5 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 471, 2 , p. 1280-1320 (2017)
- The SCUBA-2 Cosmology Legacy Survey DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 839, 1 (2017)