Prof. James Dunlop
Professor of Extragalactic Astronomy and Head of School
- Research Theme:
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)131 668 8477
- Institute for Astronomy, Royal Observatory, Blackford Hill, Edinburgh, EH9 3HJ, United Kingdom
I am Head of Institute and Professor of Extra-Galactic Astronomy at the Institute for Astronomy, an institute within the School of Physics & Astronomy at the University of Edinburgh, and also part of the Scottish Universities Physics Alliance.
I am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and of the Institute of Physics, and currently hold a European Research Council Advanced Fellowship and a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award.
My research interests are in extragalactic astronomy and cosmology: galaxy formation and evolution, the cosmic history of star formation, the first galaxies and cosmic reionization, and the connection between the growth of galaxies and black holes.
I have taught many courses at various levels within the University, most recently the Level-11 Radiation & Matter course, details of which can be found at http://www.roe.ac.uk/~jsd/Rad_Matt.html.
- A direct calibration of thtae IRX-β relation in Lyman-break Galaxies at z = 3-5 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 479, 4 , p. 4355-4366 (2018)
- AzTEC 1.1 mm observations of high-z protocluster environments DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 479, 4 , p. 4577-4632 (2018)
- The VANDELS ESO public spectroscopic survey DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 479, 1 , p. 25-42 (2018)
- The VANDELS ESO public spectroscopic survey: Observations and first data release DOI, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 616 (2018)
- Obscured star formation in bright z ≃ 7 Lyman-break galaxies DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 481, 2 , p. 1631-1644 (2018)
- Spitzer Matching Survey of the UltraVISTA Ultra-deep Stripes (SMUVS) DOI, The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, 237, 2 (2018)
- Inferring the star formation histories of massive quiescent galaxies with BAGPIPES: evidence for multiple quenching mechanisms DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 480, 4 , p. 4379-4401 (2018)
- A Machine-learning Method for Identifying Multiwavelength Counterparts of Submillimeter Galaxies DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 862, 2 (2018)
- ALMA 26 Arcmin2 Survey of GOODS-S at One Millimeter (ASAGAO) DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 861, 1 (2018)
- An ALMA Survey of the SCUBA-2 Cosmology Legacy Survey UKIDSS/UDS Field DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 860, 2 (2018)