Prof. Annette Ferguson
Personal Chair in Observational Astrophysics
- Research Theme:
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)131 668 8401
- Institute for Astronomy, Royal Observatory, Blackford Hill, Edinburgh, EH9 3HJ, United Kingdom
I work at the Institute for Astronomy, which is part of the School of Physics & Astronomy at the University of Edinburgh. My research focuses on understanding how galaxies form and evolve through observational analysis of the structure, kinematics and stellar content of galaxies in and beyond the Local Group. My work involves utilising state-of-the-art ground-based surveys (e.g. PAndAS, Pan-STARRS PS1, Gaia-ESO), observations with some of the world's largest telescopes (e.g. Subaru, VLT, Gemini) and high precision photometric observations with the Hubble Space Telescope. I am also involved in planning for the scientific exploitation of data from ESA's Gaia and Euclid missions, as well as the LSST.
I have taught a range of undergraduate courses at the University of Edinburgh. I currently co-teach Discovering Astronomy, a large first-year course aimed at students not specialising in the physical sciences, and Astrophysics, a 4th year course for astronomy majors.
Since 2011, I have served as a Personal Tutor in the School of Physics and Astronomy overseeing the academic progress of typically ~30 undegraduates per year.
- Globular cluster formation and evolution in the context of cosmological galaxy assembly: open questions DOI, Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences, 474, 2210 , p. 20170616 (2018)
- A Rogues’ Gallery of Andromeda's Dwarf Galaxies. I. A Predominance of Red Horizontal Branches DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 850, 1 , p. 16 (2017)
- Extraplanar HII regions in the edge-on spiral galaxies NGC 3628 and NGC 4522 DOI, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 605 (2017)
- Siriusly, a newly identified intermediate-age Milky Way stellar cluster: a spectroscopic study of Gaia 1 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 471, 4 , p. 4087-4098 (2017)
- Stellar envelopes of globular clusters embedded in dark mini-haloes, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (2017)
- Physical properties of the first spectroscopically confirmed red supergiant stars in the Sculptor Group galaxy NGC 55 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 468, 1 , p. 492-500 (2017)
- The PAndAS view of the Andromeda satellite system - II. Detailed properties of 23 M31 dwarf spheroidal galaxies, Astrophysical Journal (2016)
- The elusive stellar halo of the Triangulum galaxy DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 461, 4 , p. 4374-4388 (2016)
- A Synoptic Map of Halo Substructures from the Pan-STARRS1 3π Survey DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (2016)
- Major substructure in the M31 outer halo: distances and metallicities along the giant stellar stream DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 458, 3 , p. 3282-3298 (2016)