Prof. Annette Ferguson
Personal Chair in Observational Astrophysics
- Research Theme:
- Email address:
- Telephone number:
- +44 (0)131 668 8401
- Institute for Astronomy, Royal Observatory, Blackford Hill, Edinburgh, EH9 3HJ, United Kingdom
I work at the Institute for Astronomy, which is part of the School of Physics & Astronomy at the University of Edinburgh. My research focuses on understanding how galaxies form and evolve through detailed observational analyses of the structure, kinematics and stellar content of galaxies in and beyond the Local Group. My work involves utilising state-of-the-art surveys such as PAndAS, Pan-STARRS PS1 and Gaia, wide-field observations with some of the world's largest telescopes (e.g. Subaru, VLT, Gemini) and high precision photometric observations with the Hubble Space Telescope. I am also involved in planning for the scientific exploitation of data from the European Space Agency's Euclid mission, as well as the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope.
I have taught a range of undergraduate courses at the University of Edinburgh. I currently co-teach Astrophysics, a 4th year course for astronomy majors, and co-supervise the Telescope Group Projects. In addition, I usually supervise several undergraduate research projects (Senior Honours and/or MPhys) per year.
Since 2011, I have served as a Personal Tutor in the School of Physics and Astronomy overseeing the academic progress of typically ~30 undegraduates per year. I also serve as the School's Admission Officer.
- Outer halo globular cluster system of M31 - III. Relationship to the stellar halo DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 484, 2 , p. 1756-1789 (2019)
- First stellar spectroscopy in Leo P DOI, Astronomy & Astrophysics (2018)
- Identification of Low Surface Brightness Tidal Features in Galaxies Using Convolutional Neural Networks DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (2018)
- The large-scale structure of the halo of the Andromeda galaxy II. Hierarchical structure in the Pan-Andromeda Archaeological Survey, Astrophysical Journal, 868, 1 (2018)
- A High-resolution Mosaic of the Neutral Hydrogen in the M81 Triplet DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 865, 1 , p. 26 (2018)
- Globular cluster formation and evolution in the context of cosmological galaxy assembly: open questions DOI, Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences, 474, 2210 , p. 20170616 (2018)
- A Rogues’ Gallery of Andromeda's Dwarf Galaxies. I. A Predominance of Red Horizontal Branches DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 850, 1 , p. 16 (2017)
- Extraplanar HII regions in the edge-on spiral galaxies NGC 3628 and NGC 4522 DOI, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 605 (2017)
- Siriusly, a newly identified intermediate-age Milky Way stellar cluster: a spectroscopic study of Gaia 1 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 471, 4 , p. 4087-4098 (2017)
- Stellar envelopes of globular clusters embedded in dark mini-haloes, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (2017)